Tuesday 8 July 2008

day six.seven

post-The Traveller... we've done it. Lichfield Festival Chorus has just done its very first performance and it deserves to be exceptionally proud. It felt really great to be singing on stage actually, and such a privilege to be performing that music setting those words in that space. I honestly feel it was a privilege to be singing with all those people as well. I've been involved right from the very first rehearsal and seen a group of people with different backgrounds, different singing experiences, and different parts of the community all grow and come together into its own community. This is very much down to Jeffrey Skidmore from Ex Cathedra. I've worked with Jeffrey since I arrived in the West Midlands in 2001, but this is the first time that I've really been able to follow his process from the inside. He's really extremely good (as is his team of vocal tutors from Ex Cathedra Education). I feel really proud to have been part of the inaugural Lichfield Festival Chorus.
I was one of the last people off stage, and was caught side of stage chatting to members of the Britten Sinfonia and the BBC crew, so completely missed the buzz in the chorus dressing room immediately after the show. I managed to pick up a strong wish to do something next year (which is good, because that is what I have been planning to do) and to keep the momentum going.
Alec Roth seemed really, really thrilled, and Vikram was also busy talking to members of the choir and signing programmes.
Off for a meal now with Alec and Vikram and a few others...

No comments: