Wednesday 30 July 2008

behind

despite my 19 June post detailing the amount of work to get done before the 2008 Festival that had nothing really to do with the 2008 Festival, I have both the September Literature brochure and Abbotsholme Arts Society brochure still to do. At least the Abbotsholme brochure is at the printers (proofs available tomorrow) and the website has already been proofed and is just waiting for a green light to go live, the September Literature brochure is further behind than all the plans and schedules (and best of intentions) should allow. This is due to the planning of events only. I've been caught out slightly by the fact that we've brought the event forward a fortnight (otherwise I wouldn't be as behind as I'm feeling), and programming Literature events requires a slightly different way of thinking than normal performance events, especially when we aren't in daily conversations with publishing houses. I'm still learning the subtleties of dealing with literary agents, publishers' marketing departments, and directly with authors. Sometimes I get things very wrong. All the time I am trying to build up this wee event from nothing with no other history than what the Festival and the City can offer. The proximity to the main Festival is also awkward on a purely organisational level, but I only have myself to blame for that...
On top of that, the Festival's excellent designer, yellow, has just had twins.

No comments: