Saturday 18 July 2009

day ten.three

CBSO are finally in and I can hear La Mer being rehearsed as I type. We've discovered that we will have some tickets for sale on the door afterall now that last night's sound desk is gone, which is great. Less great is that the Lady Chapel stage was also taken away immediately after the lunchtime concert by the 2008 Gordon Clark Scholars.
The Gordon Clark Memorial Scholarship Trust supports young musicians, the kick back being that they perform either in Lichfield Festival or at Abbotsholme Arts Society. Charlotte Scott and Christian Elliot were to have been joined by James Baillieu, but due to an old RSI injury being triggered by moving house, Simon Lane stepped in at short notice.
CBSO's Music Director and tonight's conductor Andris Nelsons and I were going to have our pre-concert chat on the Lady Chapel stage. We'll probably make it much more intimate than we otherwise could have with both of us on the flat, and the audience really close.

3 comments:

Roger Walker said...

As the Festival closes for another year, I thought I would take this opportunity to express my personal appreciation for all you've done during your tenure as Director. There have been some unforgettable events ; Philip Glass, the Great Voices of Bulgaria and the Tibetan monks to name just three. I personally am especially fond of the excellent chamber concerts in St Michael's Church. Everything there is so friendly and informal and yet, at the same time, so thoroughly professional.

I am sure I speak for thousands of Lichfeldians when I say that Richard Hawley will be a hard act to follow. Allow me to wish you every success in your future career and as they say in Scotland 'Haste Ye Back.'

ROGER.

A Connor said...

What did happen to day four?

Richard Hawley said...

firstly, many thanks for your comments and good wishes Roger. I'm delighted that you have enjoyed so many festival events over the years and Glass and GVB are certainly two on my list of highlights.
secondly, to answer A Connor, day four was busy. I have found myself unexpectedly pushed this year to write my blog to the same extent that I wrote last year. Every spare scrap of time has been taken up with my new dog. I intend to go over all the gaps of the festival, and fill them in, but this is year to come.