Tuesday 8 September 2009

should I be resisting twitter?

many months ago I grabbed @lichfieldfest as a twitter name, knowing full well that sending minute by minute updates from my mobile during the festival, while simultaneously running a blogsite, doing my job and looking after a six month old puppy just wouldn't happen. since then, and while I have yet to issue a single update via twitter, we've amassed 38 followers (I realise 'amassed' may not be the most appropriate word).
I've gradually updated the site every now and then (just worked out how to get my logo up today), but I just can't get beyond thinking that twitter as a vehicle of communication for a festival like Lichfield's just isn't the best way forward. The flipside of that argument, which I readily acknowledge, is that a festival like ours should use every possible way to communicate with as big an audience as possible.

On a quick trawl through similar festivals, it seems to be only significantly bigger ones that utilise twitter to any great effect, although @spitsmusic and @eastneukfest seem to be valiantly proving that statement to be incorrect:
The nearby Birmingham Book Festival (@bhambookfest) also seems to be puttings theirs to good use.

8 comments:

Mrs Woffington said...

IMHO, I can't see the point of using Twitter to record comments on live events. But it is quite useful to promote a blog (I paste links into my Twitter page every time I update my blog), and also to advertise upcoming events. I would never have known about the social media cafe at the George IV, for example, without following Twitter. And of course this man - http://twitter.com/DrSamuelJohnson - is about the best thing on Twitter.

Richard Hawley said...

thanks for your comment Mrs Woffington. I wonder whether @drsamueljohnson will be visiting the @lichftwestival
@lichftwestival starting tonight...

Ross said...

And let's not forget those cracking chaps and chapesses http://twitter.com/LichfieldBlog

Richard Hawley said...

naturally Ross, and certainly no offence meant by not mentioning @lichfield blog, but my post was about Festivals using twitter. @lichtwestival is actually about twitter using festivals, come to think of it

Pez said...

Hi Richard,

I'd say Twitter was a perfect way of promoting the festival, it's a great way of complimenting having a blog, and plugging events. Live tweeting every event may be a stretch too far, but there could be some events that may benefit from it.

If you're still a little jittery, come along to the Lichfield Social Media Surgery on Tuesday and I'm sure someone will be happy to give you a hand. More info here http://engage.thelichfieldblog.co.uk/2009/09/02/lichfields-first-social-media-cafe-and-surgery/

Richard Hawley said...

thanks for your comments Pez, and for the offer of visiting on Tuesday. unfortunately I am unavailable. i think the approach that would work best if @lichfieldfest was to tweet is to have the festival team all able to do so.

Philip John said...

Hi Richard,
It's great that you're even asking the question. Many people dismiss Twitter without a seconds thought. What would have been interesting as well is if you'd asked the question on Twitter ;o)

It's a shame you can't make the Social Media Surgery but as my web site says I accept cash, popcorn and tea for my services so make me a cuppa and I'll gladly show your team how you could use Twitter for the festival.

As for live-tweeting events, you can leave us @LichfieldBlog folks to that. It's generally me behind @LichfieldLive and I love doing it even if no-one listens!

Richard Hawley said...

thanks Philip. If and when the time comes for @lichfieldfest to go properly active, then we will get a bit of advice. in the meantime, we would welcome @lichfieldlive to our events. same for @lichfieldblog for that matter, if that was of interest.