Tuesday 26 May 2009

lakeman revealed

I am delighted to announce that Seth Lakeman, the wonderful West Country fiddler and folk singer, will be performing as part of this year's Festival on Thursday 16 July. Our mysterious Mystery Gig is finally revealed!

I first heard Seth's music when his album Kitty Jay arrived in my office just after I started here in 2005. I was hoping to bring him to last year's festival, but that sadly didn't work out, so I'm thrilled that he is finally coming for his first visit to Lichfield.

Over recent years the festival has welcomed quite a few rising stars from the UK folk scene, including Jim Moray, Lisa Knapp, Andy May and Ian Stephenson, as well as groups that have tapped into that rich vein of British folk music while mixing it with folk traditions of other countries, like Salsa Celtica, Baltic Crossing and this year's Moishe's Bagel. But all of this has very much been complimenting the thriving folk scene in Lichfield that has been going on for years with the regular events promoted by Lichfield Arts as well as the Lichfield Folk Festival.

More information about Seth Lakeman's gig can be found here and tickets can be purchased here.