Wednesday 4 February 2009

waldstein or zephaniah

In July 2008 one of the worlds great string quartets, the Alban Berg Quartet, disbanded after a 37 year career. Tonight, as part of the Abbotsholme Arts Society, one of the ensembles that has risen phoenix-like from their ashes performs on the Staffordshire-Derbyshire border. The Waldstein Ensemble, comprising the Albans' Gerhard Schulz and Isabel Chiarisius with Lilia Schulz-Bayrova and Noam Greenberg come to Abbotsholme to perform Reger, Fauré, and Dvorák.
If it wasn't for that event, I would most definitely be going to see Benjamin Zephaniah at the Lichfield Garrick. I've long wanted to bring Zephaniah to Lichfield (i had images of him doing his thing in the Council Chamber) and I'm thrilled that he had finally come. Power to the Garrick's elbow for bringing him. I truly hope the event is a huge success, and that more and more programming along these lines takes place in the future. I am gutted to be missing it.
I offer the below as commiseration to myself.

No comments: