Thursday 14 August 2008

fabric of myth

finally managed a visit to Compton Verney's latest exhibition the other day, and found myself blown away by The Fabric of Myth. I knew in advance that it had a large Henry Moore, and pieces by Bourgeois, Beuys and Morris, but I hadn't really paid enough attention to the pre-publicity so did not arrive prepared for the depth of approach and cohesively explained mythology surrounding weaving and fabric in art. I know the clue was in the title, but my mind has been on other things I guess.
Revelations for me included Ray Materson's miniatures, the somehow maniacally frenzied work of Arthur Bispo Do Rosario, the calming Divers from Heaven by Leonid Tishkov (which reminded me of Ian Davenport's poured lines) and Tilleke Schwarz's extraordinary embroidery - a kind of contemporary sampler. The exhibition continues until 7 September. I'd strongly recommend it.

No comments: